Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Day 1: Palaces & Mosques

Topkapi Palace
Hand-painted tiles
The theme of travel was "the old and the new", and my first day in Istanbul, I already had a sense of just how fitting that theme was. As I stood on the terrace of Topkapi palace looking out across the Bosporus, I could see the skyline dotted with the domes and spires of mosques built centuries ago mixed in with the skyscrapers of modern day. And I was amazed by how seamlessly integrated religion was with society, in this visual sense, but also in a practical sense. Muslim or not, five times a day the whole city hears the call to prayer over loudspeakers that echo down every street. And five times a day, many people stop everything in order to participate. As strange as it was, it somehow felt natural that, in this land of juxtapositions, these things should come together. 

Sultan Ahmed (Blue Mosque)

Hagia Sophia

No comments:

Post a Comment