Saturday, November 16, 2013

Day 4: Walking Tour of Istanbul

Street art in the old neighborhood. 
On our walking tour of the city of Istanbul, our amazing guide, Burcu, took us everywhere. We walked from Taksim square down the long street of the main shopping area, to the older part of the neighborhood where we visited the Museum of Innocence, and finally across the Golden Horn to climb the Galata Tower. 
Somewhere between the square and the museum (I got a bit lost) we walked through a beautiful old arcade. I was so busy looking at the cute little shops on my right and the left that I almost didn't look up. Luckily I did, just in time to see the sky through the dome before we walked out. Something about that building was so elegant. I wish I could have stayed there for a coffee. 

Dome of an old arcade. 
When we came out of the arcade we were greeted by this scene (below). Two large Turkish flags and a stencil of Atatürk - the two greatest symbols of Turkish pride and nationalism. I think I should take this opportunity to say that, no matter where you are in Turkey, A Turkish flag is always within sight, and if you look a bit harder, you will most likely be able to find a portrait or photo of Atatürk as well. Atatürk (father of the Turks) is Turkey's most important, famous, and respected political figure. He was their first president and is give credit for founding the Republic of Turkey in 1923, due to his success in the Turkish War of Independence. 


View from Galata Tower.
When we finally made it up to the top of the Galata Tower, this is what we saw (above). We were able to see all the parts of the city we had been to earlier in the day. It was definitely worth the hike.

No comments:

Post a Comment